it was just me, Nashville, and Florence + The Machine.
It is amazing what music will do to an experience. Some of the most vivid memories I have are connected with a song that I can use to forever remind me of something momentous.
I will never forget last October when two friends and I drove into Toronto at night listening to "Deliver Us" from the Prince of Egypt. It was earth rending. The skyscrapers glowed with welcome. I possibly could have died then. It was one of the most emotional and blissful moments that I can remember.
Last night as I drove home from Michigan, I listened to the ever favorite Mumford and Sons as I started in order to begin with a good omen. After a while, I transitioned to an audiobook of The Kite Runner which is brilliant. I cried and drove; drove and cried. Finally my computer died and I was once again left to CD's. After going through the other tried and true band, Mutemath, I discovered that a dear friend left Florence + The Machine in my car. I yelled outloud in the car I was so excited. The CD is brilliant, however, the song "Dog Days" is one of the catchiest tunes I have ever encountered. It helped me welcome Nashville, and was the last song with me as I navigated the twisty roads leading up to my house.
I am currently in my room, on my bed, typing away, while out in the living room I have a CD of "Best Classical Hits" playing on the house sound system. It is shameful that I am not more of a Classical connoisseur considering the amount of time that I have spent listening to it in my life. Classical music is basically the only genre that my Dad does not find repulsive. Thankfully, I do not find it repulsive either, and it is enchanting me this evening. I am just so grateful for music, and the powerful effects is has upon us.
PS. If you have never read The Kite Runner you must. Everyone must. Still haven't finished it, but I am far enough to realize what a treasure it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment