Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Fridays

Frantic Fridays. Flurrying Fridays. Fun Fridays. Fantastic Fridays.

I experience each one of these adjectives at one point or the other during this day. It started off fun, because I woke up this morning out in the woods in a hammock. I had haphazardly joined the wilderness survival class for their wilderness "sleepover" out in the woods, and I was awakened at about 2 am by a firecracker redhead named Ben, saying, "Johnny. Johnny. I'm cold Johnny." Apparently the t-shirt, shorts, and poorly constructed shelter didn't warm him quite enough. Anyway, at about 6 am I made it out of the woods and back into my own silky (I have satin sheets!) bed. I was so thankful that today was my day off, because I don't think I could have been equipped for the afternoon otherwise. It started with about a million (slight hyperbole) phone calls to ask about staying another week. Then schedules. Then dinner. Then more phone calls. Then a 3 second (slight understatement) shower. Then Friday night play. Then Tucker cries. Then I watch a camper. Then I talk to Eden. Then I collapse back into my satiny and delicious bed.

Ahhhh camp.

I feel like when I'm here all of the tiny pieces of my unraveled life come together. All of the depression and darkness that I fought so hard last year seem to blow away into the most beautiful and radiant new day. Naturally, I can't avoid all of it and my weaker nature does come to the surface sometimes. But God has such a way of working on me while I'm at camp. I feel like it is easier to talk about Him. To think about Him. Even to talk to Him! And we also sort of burrow down into our own little world of camp. The rest of the universe continues to function normally, but we are hidden and safe here in the wilderness of North Georgia. Perhaps this way of thinking is unhealthy or inappropriate. But I am grateful for it nonetheless.

I expect life to be rather different from this point on. After camp I will go to Chad. After Chad, who knows. But I am SO grateful that I have this time to sit back and  watch God work in my life in such a strong and tangible way.

No comments:

Post a Comment