I have been up most of the night finishing the last 200 pages of Quo Vadis. Even though it was recommended to me by a friend who is atheist, it was one of the most spiritual experiences I've had while reading. I think it is so cool how God has been reaching out to me through fiction. God knows how to talk to an English major apparently. Right before reading this I had just finished reading the Chronicles of Narnia for the very first time. As I finished The Last Battle while on a plane to Washington, I had to hold back tears of gratitude and love for the amazing God that loves us enough to save us.
Then, at the end of Quo Vadis, I was reminded of the power of Christ and his message. This novel is set in Rome during the reign of Nero, the great fire, and the destruction of the Christians. It describes the fervent fire of the new Christians who were able to withstand even the most horrific deaths imaginable (and Sienkiewicz does not leave much to the imagination). I truly am so in awe God. The Christian life really is counter-cultural and that is something that I am so proud of, and excited to participate in. And the title, Quo Vadis, comes from a Latin phrase meaning, "Where are you going?" This is question that Jesus puts to all of His followers--"are you following Me? Which direction do you choose?"
I would highly recommend this book to any Christ-seeker (especially those who appreciate good literature). Blessings on your new week!
No comments:
Post a Comment