So, here's to last breaths. Here's to finding something you are passionate about. But most of all, here's to DOING it.
Jordan Arellano, the aspiring writer, missionary, God-worshiper, and intentionality-pursuer.
Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Last days at home
Once again my days at home have slipped by like beads of dew on a blade of grass. With the impending camp change always comes that bittersweetness; how much I will miss the carefree and irresponsibility of home and how much I look forward to the constant action and adventure at camp. I feel like it will likely tear me in two. In order to temper some of these raging teenage-ish emotions (it still counts for 3 more months!) I have been attempting to throw my passions in different directions. For instance, last night I watched Chariots of Fire for the first time, and as I watched I longed for the pulsing of blood in my brain as I race across the Tennessee countryside. It was of course an altogether different story when I actually ran my one mile this morning. Yet, I am not discouraged. While watching that movie I was once again reminded of the power and possibility that comes from a person single-mindedly pursuing their dream. It is powerful; I want to be apart of it. So, whether it be running, speaking french, praying, mentoring children, or being a missionary in Africa, I hope that I can pursue it with complete commitment, passion, energy and self-control. Honestly, when I come to die I would hate to know that I had not lived (props to Thoreau), and Kierkegaard reminds me (combined with the faithful diligence of a devoted religion professor) that death is always imminent, life is not guaranteed, so we should live as if we are enjoying the last breaths we possess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment