This time stood out to me, because I was reading simultaneously two of the most classic pieces of literature of all time that have influenced writing, stories, and western culture.
The Odyssey, by Homer, and The Aeneid by Virgil.
Not to toot my own horn, but it is no light work.
I have learned a lot. My teacher, Dr. Pittman (can I just get a shout out if you know her? She is BRILLIANT!) took me aside after class today and gave me a gift bag. In it was the Fagles translation of The Iliad by Homer, and the Fagles translation of The Aeneid. I'm a big Fagles fan just so you are aware.
I love that woman.
Probably the most interesting objective fact that I learned about The Aeneid was that it was once used as a "magic 8 ball" of sorts. Famous, intelligent people used to flip the book open at random, and try to answer questions from their life by what Virgil said. It was called sortes Virgilianae. I LOVE this. I have answered so many potential questions this way. Not that I am a huge 'fate' fan, but it is so much fun! (see the alliteration? WOW I'M AN ENGLISH NERD!)
Speaking of nerds...
At the end of the day...some things DO make you feel a bit better.
No comments:
Post a Comment